Hydrated
Home » Why It’s Important to Keep Hydrated
Health & Fitness

Why It’s Important to Keep Hydrated

Did you know that around 60 percent of the body is made up of water? Your body depends on water to survive, that is why staying hydrated is crucial for your health and wellbeing. You need to keep hydrated to regulate your body temperature, remove waste, and lubricate your joints.

If you’re struggling to drink enough water a day, keep reading for some great reasons to hydrate often.

Hydration Cushions the Brain, Spinal Cord, and Other Tissues

Water acts as a shock absorber, so cerebrospinal fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord cushions the tissue against any sudden changes in the areas. That is why when you hit your head, you don’t always have a concussion, the fluid around your brain absorbs the shock and cushions against impact.

Keep Hydrated to Regulate Body Temperature

When you sweat during physical activity or in hot environments, your body loses water. The sweat keeps your body cool, but if you don’t replenish the water you lose your body temperature will quickly rise again due to the electrolytes and plasma in your body not being replaced. Therefore, if you know you will be sweating a lot, it is essential to hydrate beforehand. 

Water Forms Saliva and Mucus

Saliva is 99% water. The remaining 1% of saliva is made up of digestive enzymes, uric acid, electrolytes, mucus-forming proteins, and cholesterol. We need saliva in order to liquefy food (this makes it easier to taste), as well as start the digestion process.

Mucus production is just as important as saliva. Mucus neutralizes harmful bacteria and protects the tissue that lines your lungs, throat, and nasal and sinus passages, and keeps them from drying out. 

Your Bowel Needs Water to Work

One of the most common causes of constipation is dehydration. If you don’t drink enough water, your body will absorb the water from your food waste, leaving you constipated and uncomfortable. Staying hydrated helps food move through your intestines without losing moisture.

Hydration Affects Energy Levels and Brain Function

Dehydration can affect your memory, mood, concentration, and even your reaction time. Older adults are more prone to these effects as they are at higher risk for dehydration, but anyone suffering from dehydration can suffer from these effects.

If you don’t enjoy the taste of your tap water you should take a look at installing a water softener system. Before committing, consider the water softener system price as there are various options available.

Hydrate Often 

Staying hydrated by drinking clean water is one of the easiest ways to support your body. The number of benefits to drinking water is astronomical compared to the effort you put in. Not only are you keeping your body healthy by supporting its natural functions, but you are also protecting your brain.

So if you haven’t already, go grab a glass of water and keep hydrated so that you can function at your peak level.

If you enjoyed this article, take a look at our blog for more content.

Related posts

6 Facts You Need to Know About Teenage Athlete Knee Pain

admin

Want a Pearly White Smile? Here’s What You Need to Do

Allen Brown

7 Resources for Beginner Keto Dieters

admin

Leave a Comment