Roofs are an essential part of every home. It can protect you from strong winds, keep you dry during rains, and give you shade when it’s sunny. That’s why keeping your roof in its best condition with the proper roofing materials is important.
There are many types of roofing materials that you can use, but here are the Top 5 roofing materials that are recommended and used by a lot of people.
Metal roofs are flexible and can be cut down to different shapes and sizes. Roofs made of metal are also highly resistant to extreme and unfavorable weather conditions.
- Metal roofs are made to be very durable and long-lasting. Since they are made from metal, they can last for decades before being replaced. They also provide better fire resistance and combustibility compared to other roofing materials.
- Metal is recyclable, so metal roofing is eco-friendly.
- During extreme weather, metal roofs can be noisy because of their movement.
- Metal roofs must be of good quality, because low-grade metal can be easily damaged by rust.
- Metal roofing is expensive compared to other roofing materials.
Slate roofs are quite common in rainy places. The unique square-shaped slate tiles which are combined to create slate roofs are what makes it look different from other roofing materials.
- Slate is completely water-resistant, so you don’t have to worry about the rain damaging your roof.
- Some homeowners prefer using slate as their roofing material because of its aesthetically pleasing appearance. This improves the overall visual of their house.
- Slate roofing is known for its robustness and durability.
- Slate roofing is one of the most expensive roof types.
- Slate as roofing material may have to be planned properly given that the material itself weighs around 1000 pounds per square.
Asphalt shingles offer flexibility when it comes to different weather conditions. This is why it is considered one of the best and most common roofing used in America.
- It is a common material, so it will always be available.
- The material is also affordable, so if you’re managing your budget, asphalt shingles are a good option.
- Damaged shingles can be individually replaced.
- Compared to other materials, it is not that durable, and is affected faster when exposed to high winds or heavy rain.
Clay and Concrete Tiles
Clay and concrete tiles offer great durability, as they are able to withstand even strong storms and tornadoes. They are also eco-friendly because concrete is recyclable.
- Clay and concrete tiles are durable and are a good long-term investment.
- Concrete tiles are cheaper than clay tiles, but overall, they are cheaper compared to other materials.
- From the nature of clay and concrete, these materials are fire-resistant.
- They are brittle and may break when pressure is applied to their surface(such as being stepped on)
- It requires technical installation.
- Clay and concrete tiles are heavier compared to other materials.
This type of roofing are very environmentally friendly, energy efficient and also aesthetically pleasing. This is a go to option for plant lovers.
- Improves the drainage system of your property by counter flooding.
- Improves the air quality of your area.
- Green roofing is environmentally friendly, which helps reduce CO2 emissions.
- Green roofing needs regular and proper maintenance for its appearance and effectivity.
- It will add weight to your preexisting roof since it is put on top of it.
- It is more expensive given that you have to do extra maintenance and provide more support to the roofing to prevent it from falling off.
Roofing materials is something that you have to properly decide on, but roofing installation and maintenance is also a key factor when it comes to building your roof. There are companies that offer roofing services such as Mighty Dog Roofing. These companies include services such as roof repair and replacement, property safety and cleanup, and also services on gutters, siding, and windows.