North Carolina is a southeastern region of the United States. The state is widespread for a staggering 53,819 sq. mi which provides some spectacular landscapes and beautiful sceneries. If you are a mountain bike enthusiast you have come to the right place. Due to its landscape, it provides a prefect terrain for mountain biking. This sport requires stamina, endurance, balance, bike handling skills and self-reliance. Mountain biking can be performed almost anywhere from a back yard to a gravel road, but the majority of mountain bikers ride off-road trails, whether country back roads, fire roads or single track (narrow trails that wind through forests, mountains, deserts, or fields).Usually riders carry a backpack filled with supplies such as water bladder, tools and emergency supplies in case of injury miles from outside help. Especially on long treks rider’s forms groups and organize club rides. Mountain biking can be broken down into multiple categories such as
- Cross country
- Trail Riding
- Freeride and
- Dirt jumping
Based on the experience and skill sets of an individual one can find different trails all over the North Carolina region. The top five tracks for beginner and intermediate riders found here are
- TSALI Recreation Area: Tsali provides four single track loops near the banks of Fontana Lake. The trails are fast and flowy with moderate climbs and stunning scenery. The whole trail area is about 30 miles.
- DuPont State Forest: DuPont State forest spreads about 80 miles with both single track and double track trails. The trails provide a hinge of everything from challenging trails, steep slick rock to beautiful rushing waterfalls and flowy dirt descents.
- Kerr Scott Trails: Scott trail provides a 50 miles of thrilling mountain biking experience due to the ribbons of single track that carve around the reservoir with hundreds of bermed and banked turns.
- Warrior Creek: Even though the trail is only 13 miles as the name suggests Warrior creek provides a challenging and complex trail. The location is stunning since the trail runs along the contours of reservoir and transition into the upper Yadkin river that feeds the lake.
- Sherman Branch Park: Sherman offers a total of 11 miles in total which was created by volunteer efforts. The clockwise loop of twisty single-track good for both beginners and intermediate riders. Composed of gradual climbs and descents with various bridges, log jams, jumps, berms, and rock gardens throughout the loop.
There are more than 220 plus trails for the riders to experience the thrilling and challenging tracks which make North Carolina a must visit place for the mountain bikers. The best time for testing out the trails are during the months of July to September where all the trails are open throughout the summer. Since most of the trails are located in the state park, riders can camp at site and explore the sites. Riders can engage in outdoor activities such as trekking, mountain climbing, fishing, white water rafting and kayaking. Overall it is a wonderful experience for the mountain bikers and their families to explore these places that provides stunning sceneries and a whole new experience.